Christmas bustle skirt and jacket


A quick and easy 1870s costume I made for Christmas at Sherbrooke Village when I was still in undergrad in Nova Scotia. Not my most accurate work, but it was fun and Christmas-y for the day out.

The fabric I found at a Walmart - a 100% dead dinosaur polyester taffeta. But I loved the very Victorian-looking burgundy and green plaid. It was a very last-minute project, but I managed to whip together a quick skirt with a bustled back, and paired it with a matching sash and silk blouse from my own wardrobe.



(terrible pictures, I know)

The jacket is cotton velvet interlined with tacky Christmas-themed flannel and lined in yellow cotton. The pattern was a period Harpar's Bizaare pattern I found online at the time, and for the life of me cannot track down again. It's a simple enough jacket, and I always found it very cute and comfy, not to mention warm. Which in Nova Scotian winter is particularly important.

The hat was another quick project, made from a simple wool hat I found at a thrift store. A little re-shaping, a few flowers and ribbons, and voila!


About Me

My photo
I'm a recent fashion school grad, trying to make a living in a big city and look fabulous while doing it
Powered by Blogger.